In this comprehensive guide, experienced climber and coach John White shows how to climb indoors and introduces the reader to a range of exercises and techniques that will not only improve their indoor climbing but also help them to climb more safely and effectively outside.
Climbing on artificial walls has been growing in popularity since the idea was first developed nearly 40 years ago and there are now indoor climbing walls and specialised indoor centres in most major UK cities as well as the means for keen climbers to construct their own walls in their gardens or garages at home. Climbing using artificial walls is a safe and controlled way for beginners to learn the techniques they need to know for climbing outdoors. It is also a means for experienced outdoor climbers to train effectively when they are not near to suitable outdoor sites or conditions are dangerous.
• An introduction to the equipment rerquired
• Top rope climbing, lead climbing and bouldering techniques
• Advanced techniques and training to improve your climbing
• Guidelines on how to climb safely and prevent injury
• Tips for the transition from indoor to outdoor climbing
• An overview of competitive climbing